Our culture is centered around our commitment to our clients, employees, and community. We enjoy annual team events, like bowling, Topgolf and BBQ’s and an annual Holiday gathering.
We have opportunities to provide service to our community, like volunteering to repair structures at kids’ camps, providing back to school supplies for needy families and an annual toy drive during the Holiday’s. Our people are how we achieve the Tradition of Excellence Sussex is known for.
Our Core Values
Our fundamental value of acting with honesty
Commitment:Dedication to our clients’, employees’, and community’s interests and success
Collaboration:Teamwork internally and externally to deliver the best
Tradition of world class service without compromise
Health Savings Account
AFLAC supplemental policies
Paid Time Off
Safety Training & Gear
About the job
Sussex Development is looking for an experienced Pre-Construction Manager to join our growing firm.
The Pre-Construction Manager exercises independent and discretional authority over the duties and tasks they are responsible for and is granted full authority to perform the duties set forth. The Pre-Construction Manager must promote a harmonious relationship with the Project Estimator(s) and other members of the project team, including subcontractors, vendors, architects, engineers, and owners. The Pre-Construction Manager is to be responsible for the management, preparation, supervision, and coordination of the entire pre-construction process and is responsible for ensuring that all bids and estimates are prepared accurately and in a timely manner. The Pre-Construction Manager is an essential part of the successful bid process.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and meet physical requirements satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions unless it is an undue burden on the company or presents a direct threat to the health or safety of the individual or others.
Essential Functions & Duties Statements:
- Manages, reviews and/or prepares project estimates (conceptual, schematic, design development, construction), including general conditions, special conditions, permits, fees, insurance, bonds, and subcontractor and/or material suppliers for all construction divisions and ensures the estimates are accurate and complete in scope
- Thoroughly reviews and understands all project specifications and drawings, understands potential risk factors. Carefully reviewing construction documents looking for potential issues before a bid gets submitted
- Able to prepare or review thorough quantity take offs
- Reviews or prepare bid lists and scope sheets for all construction divisions
- Reviews and analyzes subcontractor and supplier bids, ensures that scope of work for all divisions are properly covered
- Reviews and/or prepares construction schedule as needed with each estimate
- Reviews and analyzes RFQ’s and RFPs and prepares complete qualifications and response packages, including conceptual budgets. Prepares qualifications and assumptions that align with the contractual requirements of a project
- Manages the estimating and preconstruction team, ensures that all pre-construction department deadlines for budgets, bids, qualification statements are proactively managed and prepared in a timely fashion
- Keeps current with construction cost trends, means and methods etc. Adjusts bid strategies accordingly
- Prepares for and actively participates/takes the lead in interviews for negotiated projects
- Able to provide value alternative solutions
- Is the team liaison between estimating and operations – “passes the baton”, including but not limited to the following: Owner contract, confirms that the estimate ties to successful bid, subcontractor & vendor proposals have been fully vetted
- Proactively builds and sustains relationships with owners, architects, engineers as well as other team members
- Active in construction industry associations
- Searches for project bid opportunities and brings those to the President for review and approval to pursue
- Mentor new Sussex team members
- Perform all duties in a manner that is consistent with the Sussex Core Values of INTEGRITY, COMMITTMENT, COLLABORATION and EXCELLENCE
The above duties are not meant to restrict initiative, but rather to define minimum responsibilities. These duties may be altered to suit the needs of the Company by the President.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Competency Statements: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Communication: The ability to clearly and effectively present and understand ideas
- Decision Making: The ability to use experience and data to analyze all aspects of a situation to make consistently sound and timely decisions
- Diplomacy: The ability to effectively and tactfully handling difficult or sensitive issues
- Flexibility: The ability to adapt to a change in tasks and/or priorities
- Goal Orientated: The ability to be focused on defining, recognizing, and completing specific tasks to achieve a planned outcome
- Honesty & Integrity: The ability to be truthful, sincere, and free of deceit and the steadfast adherence to ethical codes
- Interpersonal Skills: The ability to build rapport to effectively interact with others
- Planning & organizing: The ability to proactively approach, establish and prioritize courses of action to ensure that work is completed effectively
- Project Management: The ability to effectively identify and manage all resources, tasks, systems, and goals, create plans of action, allocate and hold accountable team members in effort to achieve favorable project outcomes
- Resiliency: The ability to maintain a positive perspective despite setbacks, adversity, and criticism, using each as a learning block for the future
- Self-starting: The ability to take initiative to start and complete tasks in a conscientious, goal oriented, and assertive manner
- Teamwork: The ability to recognize the individual’s roles, strengths, and weaknesses to promote cohesive shared responsibilities and enthusiasm in working toward common goal
- Time & Priority Management: The ability to effectively prioritize goals, plan and take actions to complete tasks in a method which allows for maximum efficiency and accuracy, and meet established deadlines
- Understanding Others: The ability to appreciate the uniqueness and perspective of others in ways that allows for effective communication, empathy, and strategic interactions
- Working Under Pressure: The ability to stay focused and function efficiently in stressful situations; includes being able to delegate tasks to others and be willing to reach out for help when needed
- Minimum of 10 years of commercial pre-construction management and construction experience
- Commercial construction experience, including design-build process experience preferred
- Has technical background and understanding of construction means and methods
- College degree preferable
- Has a comprehensive knowledge and experience in the processes needed to bid a variety of different industry construction projects
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills
- Must have advanced experience with Microsoft Office products, including Microsoft Project, and take off software, including Bluebeam.
- Must be professional and polished in appearance and speech
- The ability to efficiently carry out all the duties in this job description
Primarily sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
The above functions, duties, qualifications, and requirements are not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required, and are not meant to restrict initiative, but rather to define minimum responsibilities. These job requirements may be altered to suit the needs of the Company by the President.